Industry Research Part 1: Identifying Industry Codes
From Steph McReynolds
Stephanie McReynolds, business, management, and entrepreneurship librarian at Syracuse University Libraries, provides guidance on identifying North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) industry codes.
Since this video covers a lot of material, it has been subdivided into shorter chapters, which can be reached by using the chapter navigation feature in the upper left corner of the video player. An outline of the video chapters is also listed below, for your convenience.
- Introduction: Introduction and short description of North American Industry Classification (NAICS) codes. (38 seconds)
- Searching for Codes in NAICS: Tips for searching for NAICS codes in the North American Industry Classification System (6 minutes 42 seconds)
- Browsing for Codes in NAICS Reference Files: Overview of how NAICS Reference Files can be browsed to identify relevant codes that might otherwise be overlooked. (1 minute 17 seconds)
- Using Company Databases to Find NAICS Codes: Overview of how company databases can be used to find NAICS codes. (50 seconds)
- Searching ReferenceUSA for NAICS Codes: How to search in the company database ReferenceUSA to find NAICS codes. (5 minutes 19 seconds)
Since the video player's chapter navigation feature may be difficult to find, below are two screenshots. The first screenshot shows the chapter navigation “hamburger” menu icon (which is in the upper left corner of the video player) and the second screenshot shows the numbered chapter list that appears after clicking on the menu icon: